An English Apothecary Box
An English apothecary box made from mahogany with brass escutcheon and flush fitting drawer handle. The interior of the box is lined with red felt and houses eight glass jars with glass stoppers and labels from Godfrey and Cooke Chemists. On the front edge of the open box is a brass retaining pin which holds the drawer secure. removing the pin enables the drawer to be open to reveal a measuring beaker, scales and weights. The box has a full working lock with key. Circa 1860.
Godfrey And Cooke Chemist was established by Ambrose Godfrey in 1680. After his death, his sons Ambrose and John take over the business in 1741. In 1n 1797 the business was bought by Charles Gomond Cooke and became Godfrey and Cooke. A century later the business moved from Conduit Street in the west end of London and then to Royal Arcade, Old Bond Street.
Dimensions: Height 17cm, Width 22cm, Depth 9.5cm.
Condition: Very good with wear consistent with age and use. Discolouration on lining on the top of the lid as seen in photographs.